Sunday, April 11, 2010

The quilt that has kept me busy



So, here's the culprit.  This is the fun thing I've been working on.  I have to get it done for the little girlie that will be born in May.  It's the first child of my oldest son, Cliff and his wife, Lorien.  I know.  I know.  It's too exciting for words!  I am almost done.  On top of the quilt is the unstuffed pillow that goes with it.  All I have to do, besides that, is tie the gray part of the quilt with yellow embroidery floss.  This has been a tricky one with all the appliqueing.  It's actually from a pattern that I bought in the 70's and had made for my second son, Kip, when he was a baby.  That one was in green.  I love the design.

By the way-I found the company, The Gingham Goose, on line.  You can still buy that old pattern plus some others.  I made another one of a train for my other son, Charlie.  It's very cute also (I know, all you men out there, this isn't the post for you but I doubt you got this far.  Probably zipped off of it at the beginning, right?)

Anyway, I fell in love with the bird material and thought how funny that is that the cat would be surrounded by birds and its happily asleep.

8 comments:

  1. This is darling! What a sweet kitty & I agree with you about the irony in the birds being around for the nap. Cute fabric.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kitty's are the best and so funny!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Julie, what a darling quilt you made! And I love the bird material! So talented. And I feel so honored to recieve the zombie chicken award. What can I say? thank-you , thank-you....ha,ha,ha

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks! I just had to get it in the mail (Baltimore) for the baby boo. Speaking of Zombies-I just read an article for my Human Heritage class. It was so interesting. The gist of it is that it's the Haitian form of capital punishment. They rub poison (the voodoo priest or some such), derived from a puffer fish, on someone's skin-an undesirable/unpopular no good-and they actually become like they are dead. It lowers everything, like breathing, to an undetectable rate. They get buried legally and dug up, clandestinely, as soon as possible. That person's luck has run out if it actually kills them. If not they are kept continually drugged with another tranquilizer-hence the zombie effect and forced to work as laborers. This scientist that went to live there and solve the mystery said that apparently the only thing worse than being a zombie is the thought of becoming one. I think that would be a great deterrent as the thought of being forced to go through that would be so frightening. It all stems from the slave uprising against the French in the 1600's and the fact that these poor Africans were forced to live in Haiti as slaves. There's your history/science lesson for the day! I love that class and will be sad when it's over with in 2 weeks.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks so much! I finished it and now I'm working on the pillow. Must get it all done and sent.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I LOVE that material and the quilt is looking fabulous! A baby girl in May, congrats.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks so much, Sandy! Yes, I'm so excited about our new little girlie.

    ReplyDelete