Wednesday, March 17, 2010

For all of you flower lovers-Spring!

So, I need to give proper credit to the photographer here.  It's Gracie, my daughter!  Every time I look at it it makes me want to sing something like "the hills are alive, etc." or "oh, what a beautiful morning!"  I think the reason I love it is because of the big pink tulip at the top and the other pink ones that outline the composition.  The biggest thing about it that makes it successful is that it has a restful area-the sky at the top.  Have you ever looked at a painting that is so busy that you get tired of looking at it?  Every inch has to be filled.  There's a lot going on here but you get that one restful area and, come on, what gives you a more restful feeling than the azure sky?  Also, you can almost feel the gentle spring breeze.  The photo, by the way, was taken at Thanksgiving Point in Utah during the Tulip Festival that happens every year-love it.

Art History Moment:  After careful consideration and great humility I've decided that I'm going to post with proper credit images that could be a little risky.  I think it should be fine because it's purely instructional.  I'm not out to make a buck off of anyone's images.  Therefore, I'm going to show you the "Daybreak" painting.


Maxfield Parrish - Daybreak

 Maxfield Parrish-"Daybreak"

Now, the model for the girl on the ground happened to be Susan Lewin, Maxfield Parrish's mistress.  The other girl, I believe is his daughter.  There was another figure but she didn't make it into the final painting.  Susan Lewin was the model for many of his works-even the men.  The composition for this painting is built around the "Golden Mean".  This technique is based around the perfect symmetry in nature and is actually a mathematical formula.  I don't want to get into that now as this is supposed to be only a "moment" but later on I'll do that.  Just realize that we are attracted to this painting for a reason.  Also-notice anything about what I was talking about before?  Lots going on but then there is the peaceful sky-the rest for the eye.  Makes sense, doesn't it?

No comments:

Post a Comment